Black-out Challenge: a 10 year old girl dies after a challenge on TikTok, you would never think that children would try this
Steph Deschamps / December 23, 2021
Nyla, 10, was found unconscious after participating in the Black-out Challenge on TikTok. Her mother is in shock.
Tawainna is a broken woman. Last Sunday, the Pennsylvania mom found her 10-year-old daughter unconscious in her bedroom. Little Nyla had just participated in a dangerous challenge on TikTok. The Black-out Challenge unfortunately took its toll on the little girl, who died a few hours later in hospital.
The blackout challenge involves participants filming themselves holding their breath until they pass out. While it's becoming increasingly popular on the app, a TikTok spokesperson tells the New York Post that the challenge long predates the platform and was never a trend on TikTok.
Grieving, Nyla's mom spoke to ABC7. She urges parents to check their child's smartphones: you never know what you might find inside.
Tawainna adds, about her late daughter: She was everything. She was a happy child. It's a pain that won't go away you wouldn't think 10-year-olds would try this.