Fire in Gironde: some residents, evacuated in emergency several days ago, were able to return to their homes
Steph Deschamps / July 23, 2022
In Gironde, the two fires ravaging the region did not progress for the second night in a row. Faced with this lull, 6,000 people who had to be evacuated were able to return to their homes on Thursday afternoon.
A bus chartered by the gendarmerie dropped off the inhabitants who had been evacuated 10 days ago. They were able to feed their animals and pick up a few things before leaving. We need to be patient and give the emergency services time to secure everything. When they tell us to go back, we will go quietly, says a resident.
Since July 12, the two fires have destroyed nearly 21,000 hectares of forest in Gironde. 37.000 inhabitants and vacations had to be evacuated. Today, some are lucky enough to find their homes in Pyla-sur-Mer. Relieved... These are not at all the same conditions as the departure, where we were anxious. Packing in half an hour, it gives a considerable stress. We are very happy to be back home, confides a resident. Delighted, but tired, says another. And still a little anxious because there is an assessment to make of the possible damage that the fire could have done because I am on the edge of the forest.
For others, the return is more complicated. We have been evacuated for 8 days and now we come to have a good time on the beach, but it's true that it's funny... There is no one left. For the businesses, the season is ruined, confides a third inhabitant of the area.
The two fires do not seem to be progressing, but the situation is not under control. 2,000 firefighters are still mobilized on site to secure the areas considered as sensitive.